Saturday, November 23, 2013

Never really realized how ironic things can be when you read about them in the text, versus actually obliviously doing it yourself.

In self-serving bias, people usually contribute their own failures to external or situational factors while thinking that when others fail it is mostly due to internal or dispositional factors. In other words, we as humans often think that we fail due to factors that are beyond our control, the situation that are out of our hands, and (to our own benefit) not because of our decision making or choices.

At the same time, when looking at other people experiencing failures, we often judge them as incompetent, failing because their abilities were never good enough to begin with rather than because of the complexity of the situation, which we contribute to ourselves.

Looking back a few posts, isn't that exactly what has happened to me?

From blaming fate, to not questioning the majority of my own actions, haven't I myself followed the typical prototype of human behavior? At the same time, to an external party (I asked, yes), its pretty obvious they overestimated the importance of internal traits, and almost completely ignored the situational factors that happened.

Upon this realization, all I felt was how small, typical, and just another average Joe I am. Why should I think myself any different? Why even bother trying when (haha) it makes no difference?

No comments: